This week we bring a new and exciting feature to fplupdates.com, and this is the #FPLUpdates Team Cup.
As some of you may know, our very own Matty Kaye (@SecurityKaye) has run a similar tournament in the past, however this year he will only be participating in the cup and we over at FPL Updates HQ will be running the tournament.
Before we explain how to join the tournament, here’s a brief overview of how the game will be run, with some rules and general information about the cup:
- Firstly, to enter the cup you need a team, with each team being made up of 4 individual members. Don’t have a team? Leave a comment at the bottom of this article and see if you can join up with someone!
- All teams must have been registered and scoring points prior to the gameweek 27 deadline. Any teams set up after will not be eligible for inclusion.
- Each team will then be randomly drawn into a group. There will be 16 groups (64 teams, 256 managers) and entrants will be taken on a first come first served basis.
- Each group of 4 teams will play each other over the course of the 3 gameweeks.
- After the group stages, the top 2 from each group will go into a knock out stage, where we will play through to the final on gameweek 38.
Gameweek 29 will see the seeding take place, where the top 16 teams will be entered into pot 1, next 16 into pot 2 and so on, until we have 4 pots that make up the draw.
The Group Stages
The random draw will take place during gameweek 29, giving 4 teams in each group. An article will be published shortly after with the full group structure.
The group stages will commence between gameweeks 30 & 32, with each team playing each other once. The fixtures for all groups will be as follows:
Gameweek 30: Team 1 vs Team 4 & Team 2 vs Team 3
Gameweek 31: Team 1 vs Team 3 & Team 2 vs Team 4
Gameweek 32: Team 1 vs Team 2 & Team 3 vs Team 4
Points will be awarded as follows:
3 points will be awarded for a win
1 point will be awarded for a draw
0 points will be awarded for a loss
The points difference in each game will also be recorded, in a case where there is a tie. If this can’t split the teams then it will be done on a head to head basis. The winner and the runner up from the group will progress to the knockout stages.
The Knockout Stages
The knockout stages will commence as follows:
Gameweek 33: 1st Round (Last 32)
Gameweek 34: 2nd Round (Last 16)
Gameweek 35: The Quarter Finals
Gameweek 36: The Semi Finals
Gameweek 37: The 3rd Place Playoff
Gameweek 38: The Final
In each round, the team with the most points will go through to the next round, but in the event of a tie, the points on each team’s bench for the week will be used.
How to join?
To join the competition you need the following:
- A team of 4 members and a team name.
- Each individual team member should provide their FPL ID and their twitter ID if they wish to be featured in our articles.
The simplest way to join is in the comments section below. Reply with your team name, members and FPL ID’s (& Twitter ID’s if applicable). The other way to join is to email us – email@example.com.
UPDATE – Entry is now FULL.
Not only do you win the bragging rights, but our kind friends, Premier Punt have kindly sponsored the competition, offering up £25 credit to each member of the winning team.
Now, all that is needed is for you to just sit back and look forward to gameweek 29 and the draw!